If you’re struggling to come up with some original and worthwhile resolutions for the New Year and happen to enjoy boating, then take a look through the list below for some inspiration!
– Why don’t you challenge yourself to take up a new hobby that will complement your sailing lifestyle? For example, if you travel to some exciting or beautiful places, wouldn’t it be great to be able to take the kind of photographs that do your destination justice?
– Learn or refresh your First Aid. To be a responsible sailor, it’s really important that your first aid knowledge is up to date and ‘at hand’ should you ever need it. This is an easy resolution to keep – just get in touch with your local provider and book a course right now.
– Get out on the water more. This has to be one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions for boaters of all shapes and sizes, but that’s no reason for you not to add it to your list!
– Give something back. Can you use your skills as a sailor or skipper to help others? Perhaps you could volunteer with a local organisation or arrange to take out any friends or neighbours who would love the opportunity to sail but have never had the chance. It’s interesting that the number one resolution for the Boat Owners Association of the United States was to “introduce one new friend to boating this year. And with your supervision, volunteer to let them sit behind the wheel for a little bit.
– Get your family more involved in your boating, but do it in a loving way! There’s no point forcing your family to sail with you, but you might be surprised how much further gentle encourage and tutorage will go than shouted instructions.
– Do an inventory your boat. Is everything in proper working order? Does your sailing propeller need some attention? Is your safety gear all in place and in good condition?
Good luck keeping your resolutions!